23 October 2008

Being 3 is so much fun!

I love this age with Andrew. Today we spent an hour building roads with our blocks so that our matchbox cars could drive on them. We also built a city and needed our construction equipment...crane, dump truck, excavator...to help. Our crane helped deliver a bridge for the train track so Thomas could haul milk to the Little People farm...oh it was so much fun. And then the giant got up from her nap and knocked it all down.

We live in an area where so much emphasis is placed on getting kids into the best preschools at such an early age. It's something that I struggle with each and every time someone asks me where I plan to send Andrew to school. Why are we rushing childhood? Does he really need to be in a formal schooling program at the precious age of three?

I'm studying the book of Luke in Community Bible Study...and in looking at Luke 2, we learn that Jesus went to the temple at age 12. We can assume that He didn't go to the temple before this point when Jewish males were considered men. A commentary I read said we can assume that Jesus was allowed to grow just like any other child...He probably played in the dirt, had fun with friends, was allowed to be a child without the pressure to grow up. So why am I worried about Andrew? Childhood is so precious...you only get it once. The reality of adulthood sets in too soon; you can never go back and so I fight; daily I fight against the pressure that my kid might not be as advanced as the next three year old who's in school every day. I fight to hold my tongue when asked about preschool or potty training or whether he knows his letters, numbers, address. And I simply pray that this time of play will help us both to simply embrace childhood, again and again and again.

2 comments:

June said...

Welcome to the world of blogging. I was so excited to read your posts. This is a much better way to keep up than our sporadic emails. I had to laugh when I saw your pictures, for they remind me so much of our house, especially the pile of cushions in the living room.

Your kids are growing up too fast. I wouldn't worry about putting Andrew into school, until much later though. I think you do enough for the children, that academically and socially, they will be ready for kindergarten at age five. As long as you keep up with socializing Andrew with other children, he will be fine. When Aki did finally start school two months ago, it was a wonderful time to get some more quality time with Ani.

PS. I just read this book "Christ the Lord" by Anne Rice. It's a book exploring what life must have been like for Jesus when he was seven. You might like it.

Paula said...

You know my thoughts on all this. I'll be praying for you - that you may feel restful freedom in the life God has for YOUR family!
Love you Marilyn!