23 November 2008

Moving Day

Moving Day was one week ago today -- in a mere four hours, with the help of so many WONDERFUL family and friends, all of our belongings were loaded into two PODS. I have never witnessed such amazing packing skills before...I don't think another thing could have fit into either one of those "garages." It's been a long two weeks...we have packed our lives into boxes and garages, filled a storage shed, scrubbed our old townhouse from top to bottom, lived through sickness, moved in with a family member, tried to constantly reassure Andrew that we'd all be together and his bed will be fine living in the garage, and now, it looks like we'll be able to settle on our home right around the first of December.




I never realized buying and owning a home would be such an emotional journey. First we loved the house, then not so much (we've had a lot of sewer/septic issues that took over two months to resolve), then we started looking at other places, and now, I'm ready to be back in my own space. Do I still love the house? Yes, no, perhaps I'm just indifferent right now. Am I starting to think about paint colors again and dream of remodeling the kitchen? Yes, of course. This time, however, it's tempered with the exhaustion that I feel from the move...perhaps we'll move a little more slowly in the home rennovations. Of course, I'm told that house projects never end!!


So there you have it folks...it looks like we'll be calling our moving crew back again to unload those carefully packed PODS...this time we only have two levels instead of three and the big piece of furniture stays on the main floor!


What have I learned from this journey? I don't know yet...maybe I never will. But as we enter this season of thanksgiving and holidays, I will tell you that I'm thankful for having a roof over my head, family members who welcome us with open arms, food on the table and clothes to wear. And I'm grateful for all those friends and family who willingly and lovingly gave of their time to help us out in ways that were far beyond measure.



My dad takes a quick break from moving to play with Andrew's new toy. Boys and their toys...they never do grow up!

2 comments:

Paula said...

This house looks like it has so much potential. What a treat to have space both inside and out in the middle of the city. Your kids are going to love that backyard... Can't wait to see it.

Paula said...

Ooh! A couple of highlights I forgot to add the first comment:
*Love the entertainment center/fireplace combo in the living room.
*My sister made a string ship for my dad just like the one on the basement wall. I think the year was 1981.
*The purplish stairs leading to the backyard add some wonderful color to the balcony.
*Lovely backyard decor.
*Its probably my turn to come help you paint!